Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday Fun: Surprise Mamma - Im growing up!

Im surprised and amazed at his level of understanding concepts and how he applies it at the right moment:


The minute he sees a green signal he starts "Amma, oonnanna (hogona-lets go) amma,thun cheep, geen iight, amma, chanda maama, iLLiii (get down) " I keep telling him that until the sun sleeps, chanda maama comes and we get the green signal we cant get down, cant go home - so the minute he notices that its become dark,sees the moon or the green light he asks me to get down from the bus!

And he can figure out which of the cross roads is ours - he waits until all the other cross roads are done and the screams 'illi,illi' (here, here) and then screams 'mannneeeee' (home) even before we stop in front of the house.

******************************************************************
How he knows his different names:

Im taking this from Comfy's post on names. I realised that I havent actually put all the names we call him. Now he knows who calls him what and when asked -

Pacchu thatha (My Dad): Thai th... (his name)

Ammamma: "Banguuu" Short form for Bangara (meaning Gold in kannada)

R Thatha (FIL): Tinku Paapa

Ajji: Calls him all God names: Krishna,Ganesha,Subrahmani...

Appa: GundaNNaaa

Amma: Chutttuuuu (Chutku ofcourse, though I call him a hundred other names like Chinna,Raja or sometimes nautanki, little monster - and he reacts to all of them with a hmmm?)

********************************************************************************************
Context: When he asks for something that we are eating and its spicy/hot and I cannot give it to him - I tell him 'Bisi' (hot) or 'Khaara' (spicy) and tell him that he cannot eat it.

One evening,last week, after my parents returned from a wedding they had got puri unde-a laddoo made of puffed rice. I love it and wanting to see if Chutku will like it too - I gave a little to him. He loved it. Came back and asked me for more. I was so happy that I gave him the entire big laddoo and he ran away happily. A few minutes later after he had nibbled enough on that and lost interest,I asked him to give what was remaining back to me-His reaction "Beda Amma,khaara,Chuttu Thinthi" (No Amma,its spicy, Chutku eat) And my parents were laughing their head off while I was trying to put my dropped jaw back in place! How the little fellow made sense of the whole thing and how my own words came right back at me!

Oh! And he very well knows that all the used tumblers and plates to into the kitchen sink. So he keeps waiting for everyone to finish their coffee and comes and asks "aaitha" (Finished?) then takes the tumblers,runs to the kitchen sink and drops it so loud that it echoes around the house. Unfortunately if he gets the urge to put something in the sink and he doesnt get anything - he opens the drawer,icks up an cleaned and wiped vessel he can get his hands on and thump,thadak it goes into the kitchen sink :-( - we will be forced to rinse/wash that all over again.

Hubby has thus named him "weapon of mass destruction"!
**************************************************************************************

And oh! I spent a couple of days effort in teaching him sunday,monday and he now tells all the 7 days and by the time it comes to 'thathaday' his eyes are searching for me for approval and smile :-D - And when hubby mentioned to a friend that Chutku can now tell A-Z,1-10,most english rhymes,days of the week the friend I believe said that his 3yr old daughter is now learning all this. And I was thinking of slowly introducing Shapes to him since he seems to be learning quite fast and interested too. its not that I make him sit with me and teach him-its just while playing that i show him something new and teach him something generally in the car/bus...

But now I wonder - Am I over doing it? Should I just let it be?

(Chutku says: Pic taken at a cousin's birthday party while I was busy collecting the colorful thermocol balls)


6 comments:

  1. I loved that pic :)

    He understands the crossroads and all that..Chutku zara yeh masi ko geography seekhana please :)

    Well..if he is learning with fun..why not :)

    R is also a 'weapon of mass destruction'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seema's Comment: Just read your post and not able to comment there. Every time I read your posts, I decide to go back home and comment but either I forget or don’t find the time to switch on the lappy or when I try to do so, I don’t have the first thoughts that I wanted to type out as soon as I read the post…

    Hey, you are not overdoing the teaching part even a bit. You’re going the right way. Teaching while playing or by making it look like a fun activity is where kids learn quickly. Obviously because they enjoy themselves then. You know I used to even make Mantam sit on the kitchen countertop while I cooked and taught them names of kitchen utensils, veggies, fruits, shapes and colours there. For ex, I used to teach shapes of pan, plate, sandwich, chapathi and likewise. And Chutku is growing up so fast. Mmmuah to him….

    On the dumping in sink part, now I know why you were looking for steel bowl for him… Hahaha.

    I’m still sad that I won’t be able to make his birthday cake. How glad I would have been to do it  By any chance, would you be able to pick the cake from my home on 22nd morning on the way to office. Coz, we are anyway travelling on 22nd night. Tell me, if it’s possible, then I would be very happy to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why doesn't Blogger have a like button?!! Super-like this post!

    You are not over-doing it RS. If Chutku learns, let him! What's the problem! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chutku is one smart kid he grasps things faster,may be other kid is little slow.
    Parents usually complain that their kid is slow in learning and you are worrying that he has learnt things so fast,you to na RS too much :-)
    May be Chutku thinks the vessels are not cleaned properly so drops them back in the sink to be washed again :-)
    And evil you wanted that remaining laddoo good reply chutku gave :-)

    @Chutku:Baby you are looking so cute in that pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just not over doing it, the grasping power for kids at this age is beyond we can guess, I remember Chucky was of this age she knew most of the things you mentioned here, even I didn't teach her, rather she picked it from cds, day care etc.. And once they are 3-4 years the grasping power reduces, it don't feel bad.. Keep them going..

    Chutku is so cute and look at his concentration..love the picture..

    He has so many cute names, I wish Chucky too get to stay with her grans parents to experience that love.. One of my biggest mommy guilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I wanna hear him say all the Days of a week esp 'thathaday'...
    Yes yes yes Plz let him beee, coz these days will not come back, later when he grows up he will not act this cute n u will then Miss all this,,, I feel its ok for him to do want he wants..U just observe n hv fun! n let others hv fun too!!! :) :p :D

    ReplyDelete