Thursday, December 1, 2011

Why the hate on Why this kolaveri?


I actually liked the song and it has grown on me. Im seen mildly head banging at work with the 'papapapaan papapapaan papapapaapapapaan' running in my head! I actually first saw it on youtube after reading Sangi's post. And then the beats got to me. The lyris are so stupid that it easily got into my head without any effort! AND most of all I loved the way Dhanush himself has sung this song and the enthu rubbed off too - see that part where he says  'reverse gear'? :-) I kind of liked all that. To add to that bro called all the way from Singapore and asked Dad to check out this song because its the latest doing the rounds and hubby even showed the song to Dad!!

I totally agree with everyone who has criticised it for the (non)music it has and the irrelavent lyrics - but that IS the USP of the song! and Im sure that this craze will also die down the minute the publicity its getting dies down too... And isnt this the trend  these days? Of meaningless lyrics and just beats? Why, even in kannada we have "system ye sari illa chombeshwara, Prime Minister aagbidla onde sala?" (system is only not all right, so shall i just become the prime minister once for all) and there is this "Kathleli karadige yaavatthu jaamoon thinisokke hogbaardu ree" (dont try to feed a bear jamoon in the darkness - WTH??) - so why are we even thinking of lyrics here? - its just catchy and it will last a few days with everyone humming it and laughing about it and then its gone...

Ofcourse these songs and movies cannot be compared to the erstwhile cinema and the soulful songs in any language.And I will not even get into the 60's, 70's or even before that music - that will need a post of its own and I dont even have the right words to put my thoughts and feelings on that.

Even while we were growing up we had lovely romantic songs and we also had the one off 'item' song with cheezy lyrics and gyrating dance moves- remember the 'tu cheez badi hai mast mast'? or all those Karishma Kapoor and Govinda movies - I remember especially one song - 'se*y se*y se*y mujhe log bole" and there was a huge hue and cry on those lyrics and then Alisha Chinoy re-sang that song with the lyrics changed to "baby baby baby..." Im sure nobody remembers these songs now...(I thought a lot to recollect these songs all through the day today, just to post it here!!)  So... live it,enjoy it if you can, while it lasts and then forget about it...

I really dont get the whole idea of opposing a song that actually doesn't have crappy double meaning lyrics or even for that matter dance moves. How many such songs do we get to see these days - Tell me what you think about Kareena kapoor's costume and the moves in Chammak Challo? If that is acceptable then why not Kolaveri?


9 comments:

  1. Its actually the other way around. We dont understand wats the big deal about the song. we have a gazillion songs similar to this one in Tamil. So why has this one spread like a forest fire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really get the hype behind the song but beyond that I don't care one way or the other. But then for me there are no songs I hate and very very few that get added in my LOVE list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Errr...no I dont hate the song..but I dont like it either...I mean I just didnt understand the hype...but again to each his/her own :):)

    I am yet to see chamak Challo...heard it but not seen it...its bad eh?

    and songs like tu cheez badi hai mast mast and baby baby baby...RS - I hated both of them *Grins and puts up a white flag for peace*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your generalisation on liking this song sounds really good. But for some reason did not really appeal. Ya have heard songs that are crappier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved the last para. These days its really difficult to find a 'normal' song!!

    Chammak Challo - I really felt sad after watching the video

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't know about Hindi or Kannada music,RS. But as far as I know, Kolavari does not have anything really obscene to lament about. May be, the word 'Kolaveri' is a little 'local', it isn't that bad is my opinion. It is hyped beyond proportion - Yes! But will that deter me from enjoying it - a definite no!

    Like you've said, the lyrics are catchy and so is the tune. And Dhanush is my favourite too and so, it worked for me. The first few times I heard it, I was laughing like crazy. Slowly, we (the CH and me) even started humming it together while doing the daily chores picking up where the other left. If 'Kolaveri' is a reason to keep the mundane chores going, so be it! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sanju - Thats exactly what Im saying-its all just in the hype.There are plenty of other songs too that are equally ridiculous if I may say so.Once the hype dies down people will forget it too-and its not some beautiful evergreen song that can be remembered! I dont know Tamil but I still enjoy songs like MargaLi Poove or the one sin Roja-now those *can* be hummed for long...

    @Comfy and Sumana - Its not like I *love* this song either :-) The song came to notice because of the hype else Im sure I wouldnt even know about it and its not something that will go into my favourite list either-its just a passing phase and im enjoying it like I wrote.

    RM - Like I wrote-its not something that will go into my fave forever list either-but right now im enjoying it. And im so surprised! you havent watched chammak challo?!! :-O Then dont bother-though if you show it to R she might get a hand step or 2 like Chutku! :-P
    Actually at the time of Tu Cheez and Baby baby-we werent allowed to watch TV and were very seriously discouraged from having any favourites-so not that I liked them either-just remember watching them on an odd Chitrahaar or so... :-) So no white flag required-im with you there :-)
    @SnS - Im not very aware of Tamizh either yaar-its just the hype and I *love* "If 'Kolaveri' is a reason to keep the mundane chores going, so be it!" totally agree-it helped us beat the traffic blues yesterday evening! So be it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it too much to expect either lyrics or melody in a song? Sad that one has to choose between one or the other to start with....if this didn't have Rajnikant's aura touching it...anyways, there's been a 'thank you' video for the response to Kolaveri, he says he didn't put any thought to the lyrics. 'Why not' is what I want to know!

    That said, I have heard it once and wouldn't give it enough effort to hate it. We're getting too used to mediocrity that we get it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and yes itz a dabba song indeed........

    ReplyDelete